Friday, July 11, 2014

A Look Back On My Favorites



Hello everyone, I'm back again with an entry that will focus not so much on a review of a specific fragrance but more of what I've learned about my favorite fragrances in my collection. As time has passed I have actually began to wear my fragrances based on the weather and my mood, which the weather has a profound impact on. It seems in my collection/rotation of fragrances I have developed a taste for strong and unusual yet pleasant smells, all very different from each other in terms of scent yet all equally pleasing to myself and those around me. In light of my love for writing about my collection and fragrances I have sampled, I have actually started to approach my coworkers and ask them directly what they think of what I am wearing/sampling that night. To this day I have yet to openly offend anyone with any of my fragrances or receive a terribly negative comment and I believe that is due to the amount of research I put into each bottle before purchasing/sampling. This is why I always tell people that if they want help choosing a scent or even simply get started, to let me know...I am sincerely enthusiastic and glad to help.

Now to start with my first fragrance love, Terre d'Hermes. I have worn this fragrance more than any other in my entire life. It is indeed the first full bottle I have ever gone through and I am now enjoying my second. This fragrance along with one other which I have not reviewed, is the scent I want people to know me by. It's strong and brash in the beginning and then dries down to a masculine scent that keeps going and going. In my review of this fragrance I describe it as having heavy wood and mineral notes and while I still hold that opinion as being the driving force of this fragrance, I have since learned to pick out the more obscure notes that make this one so unusual and likeable. In the initial stage on my skin I can now smell a strong grapefruit note which seems to sit on top of an old-school vetiver note. It makes for a predominately sour and smoky scent that I believe makes this fragrance so powerful and masculine in the beginning. As time goes on, cedarwood comes out and takes over as the vetiver calms down. Along with the cedar, a mineral type of scent described as gun-flint also comes out. I can now make sense of this note because of the underlying smokiness of the vetiver, giving the mineral note a burnt smell beneathe the cedar. The three working together continue to make this fragrance cut through the cold wind of fall and winter. To wrap up on this one, those notes hold true until the end when an effervescent type of scent which I believe now is a note of benzoin comes out. The smokiness now gone, it takes on a fizzy feeling to your nose as the cedarwood becomes sweet and the grapefruit reappears bringing back that delightful sourness which ends in a fizzy-like, predominately sweet with a touch of sour scent. This fragrance is a masterpiece.

On to Original Vetiver from Creed. First and foremost, this vetiver is different from Terre d'Hermes. It is the vetiver leaf and not the root, which gives it a green and grassy scent. When I first smelled this on my skin I simply could not detect a damn thing other than it's amazing green smells that wrote stories in my imagination as time went on. Now that I have had time to wear this over and over again I can now detect the most predominant note on my skin, ginger. Yes, on me this fragrance is a sweet ginger bomb and I love every single moment all the way until it is gone...and then I want to wear it again. Upon initial spray, the vetiver leaf dominates with it's superb natural earthy and green grassy scent for about 30 minutes...and then...oh man this stuff is magic. The vetiver takes a back seat and supports the amazing ginger for the next few hours. I have never smelled ginger in another fragrance and I probably never will simply because I will always have this bottle in my collection. As time goes on the spicy ginger is sweetened with cedar and ambergris and the combination is nothing short of astonishing. The quality of this scent is unrivaled in it's smooth refinement. There are no other words for this second masterpiece in my collection of fragrance.

I will end this entry for now but soon there will be a second part featuring one fragrance that I have wrote about and another which I have not. As always I hope you have enjoyed and if you have any questions about fragrance please feel free to contact me.

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment