Monday, June 30, 2014

Pino Silvestre - Tried and True Classic



Where do I begin with a fragrance that is older than me...? I wasn't totally sure how to judge this when I first started thinking of writing up a review because this is another one of those more deep, mature fragrances rather than a fresh, light and easy-to-compliment one. Well to start I'll give a bit of history.

Pino Silvestre, as the name and bottle suggest, is scented with conifers and wood in mind. It is the Italian name for the Scots Pine tree which is native to Europe and East Asia, covering a huge mass of land in between the two. The original formula was introduced in 1955 by Lino Vidal. In Italy, it became a huge hit for what I can only imagine is it's classy quality combined with a fairly cheap price. Like Stetson in the States, Pino Silvestre could be found on the shelves of pretty much any normal drug/grocery store and often was sold in the same package as it's bodywash counterpart...which allegedly is also top quality in the scent department. One day I'll get around to trying the soap out.

Pino Silvestre is marketed as a masculine fragrance and from the first spray until the end of the day, it's obvious why. It has top notes of bergamot, lavender and apparently...lemon. Might as well throw the lemon out and make way for the lavender and bergamot because let me tell ya, the lavender is strong and about as fresh as any I've ever smelled. I keep a vial of lavender essential oil in my medicine cabinet and the beginning of this fragrance smells as pure as the oil in that vial. Now as you would assume, the scent moves on to it's heart note of pine which is balanced out by hints of geranium and clary sage. For the less discerning nose, just imagine a very pungent pine sap scent with other deep and mildly fragrant greens to smooth it out while the lavender continues it's soothing role in the background. Towards the end, notes of cedar-wood and musk come out and are again somehow very elegantly balanced out with even more green foliage notes that you would find in the woods.

I've never been completely baffled by this scent no matter how many times I apply it and I think that is due to it's cleverly disguised simplicity. That is not room for dismissal though. In my opinion this fragrance is extremely soothing to the mind and under an equally relaxed scenario I believe it could provide a substantial background for entering a creative scene. I believe this would make a fantastic fragrance to wear with your loved one out to a nice restaurant with another couple...or even by yourselves. The lavender in this fragrance suggests in my mind that the best time for wearing it is in the evening when you want to unwind or take a relaxing night with someone. The pine, cedar-wood and musk help add to the masculine side while it's extra notes keep it smooth and seductive.

All in all, this is a year-round fragrance with decent performance and a couples mindset (meaning those close moments may last just that much longer =D). The woodiness allows it to work in winter while the lavender and bergamot give it a refreshing quality that will suit even the hottest summer days. A well thought-out fragrance that deserved the attention it got. Give it a try and wear it a few times to really get to know it. It's cheap and I sincerely doubt you will be disappointed!


Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment